Sunday, June 23, 2013

Minimalist Posters!

It's time for a bit of a rant! On the back of the recent post from Total Film, '100 amazing minimalist posters', I thought I'd throw in my own two cents. The recent craze of 'minimalist posters' has gotten a bit much and the Total Film collection is evidence of that. In my opinion, the vast majority of these pictures are lazy, unimaginative and void of any style or creativity. I wouldn't want to pinpoint any one in particular so I made one of my own for 'Fargo'. Now the one I did for Fargo is shit! It was literally done in ten minutes and is lazy in both it's thought and execution and I think it fits in well with the rest of them. Saul Bass produced movie posters that had a very graphic style that evoked the tone of a film and like all good movie posters, piqued an audience's curiosity and made the film enticing. Instead, what we have now is an iconic element from a film (having seen the film is a prerequisite), draw it up simply and badly, whack it on a textured background and BOOM. Instant artwork. It might sound like I'm making a big deal of it and that these folks are just producing a bit of fan art. I just think that if you have the balls to try and sell these as prints on your own website (which most of these designers do), you should put in a bit of an effort!

No comments: